"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music.

I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get the most joy in life out of music."

~ Albert Einstein

Friday, February 5, 2016

Ave Maria (Biebl)

"Here's what happens when two of America's premiere male ensembles, Cantus & Chanticleer walk into a bar..." A beautiful rendition of Franz Biebl's Ave Maria! I'll never forget the day I met Chanticleer during it's early days.It was in the Spring of 1978, I had started grad school in the San Francisco Bay Area just a couple of months earlier. My roommate and decided to go into San Francisco one afternoon, and came upon some young men in Renaissance costume singing old songs a Capella on the street near Ghiradelli Square. 

We were quite impressed and went up to talk with them after their performance. I was a recent English Major graduate and was fascinated when the young man we spoke with said the group's name was Chanticleer. In the years hence, I am always thrilled when I hear them mentioned on the radio, recalling having met them on the streets of San Francisco. Now I am happy to hear about the group Cantus, as well.

  -

No comments:

Post a Comment