"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music.

I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get the most joy in life out of music."

~ Albert Einstein

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Hildegard of Bingen: O Vis Aeternitatis

September 17 is St. Hildegard's Day. Hildegard of Bingen was a twelfth century abbess who was also a writer, composer, philosopher, and Christian mystic. One of only four women to have been named Doctor of the Church, she has gained much attention in recent years because of the music she wrote as well as the holistic spirituality that she advocated. Those interested in feminism, liturgical music, spirituality or holistic medicine may all find things if interest in the writings of St. Hildegard.

This chant, "O vis aeternitatis" is from Hildegard's Canticles of Ecstasy. I found it to be incredibly beautiful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment