"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music.

I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get the most joy in life out of music."

~ Albert Einstein

Friday, September 26, 2014

Songs for Rosh HaShana

The time from Rosh HaShana to Yom Kippur are the Jewish High Holy Days. They mark the Jewish New Year, "The Birthday of the World." In thinking of the High Holy Days, Here is how Rabbi Rami puts it:

Rosh haShanah, the first of the Days of Awe, is the anniversary of creation, and our time to honor God, the Source of Creation.  For me God is the Source and Substance of all reality, and Rosh haShanah is the time when I remember that all life is a unique yet temporary manifestation of God the way each ray of sunlight is a unique and temporary manifestation of the sun. I use Rosh haShanah as a time to realign my life with creation so that my living is in service to all life.

Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement (At-One-ment) is the culmination of all this effort. We have made peace with our neighbor, peace with nature, and now it is time to make peace with God.
(From “Jewish Fall Holy Days” at "Beyond Religion with Rabbi Rami")

Below is an ancient Jewish chant for Rosh HaShana with wishes for the new year, followed by a musical rendition of Avinu Malkeinu (Hebrew: אָבִינוּ מַלְכֵּנוּ‎; "Our Father, Our King") which is a Jewish prayer recited during Jewish services on Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, as well on the Ten Days of Repentance from Rosh. (see Wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avinu_Malkeinu)




No comments:

Post a Comment