"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music.

I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get the most joy in life out of music."

~ Albert Einstein

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Come Sunday (Duke Ellington)

I first learned that jazz great Duke Ellington had written  a repertoire of sacred music a little over 20 years ago when "Come Sunday" was performed at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church. It was performed as a a trumpet solo with piano accompaniment during the worship service. Here we have two fine renditions. The first features the great Gospel singer Mahalia Jackson doing a beautiful a cappella presentation of the lyrics with a very sparse piano accompaniment by Duke Ellington himeself. In the second version is an orchestral presentation featuring a trumpet solo. Enjoy either one, or both. You can scroll down to read the lyrics.








Come Sunday
By Duke Ellington

Oh dear Lord I´ve loved
God almighty, God up above
Please, look down and see my people through

I believe the sun and moon
Will shine up in the sky
When the day is grey
It´s just clouds passing by

He´ll give peace and comfort
To every troubled mind
Come sunday, oh come sunday
That´s the day

Often we feel weary
But he knows our every care
Go to him in secret
He will hear every prayer

The leaves in the valley
They neither toll nor spin
And flowers bloom in spring
And birds sing

Up from dawn till sunset
Man work hard all the day
Come Sunday, oh come Sunday
That´s the day




-

No comments:

Post a Comment