"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music.

I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get the most joy in life out of music."

~ Albert Einstein

Friday, November 14, 2014

Islamic Call to Prayer

Many years ago, I heard the Islamic call to prayer (the Azan) while traveling in Kuala Lumpur. Today at the Washington National Cathedral is hosting a Muslim prayer service. Hopefully, this ecumenical move will help in bringing many people of goodwill together in affirming the right of each to practice his or her faith in peace. Here is a Muslim call to prayer that was offered in an ecumenical service, and a wonderful opportunity for people of all faiths to understand the the Azan. From the You Tube notes: "The Azan is uttered in a loud, albeit sweet melodious, voice to announce to the faithful that it is time for the Obligatory Prayer and to invite them to offer the prayers. Those who perform Azan are known as 'Muezzin.'"


 

No comments:

Post a Comment