"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music.

I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get the most joy in life out of music."

~ Albert Einstein

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Comfort Ye (from Handel's Messiah)

Composer George Frederick Handel created a controversy in some quarters with composition of "Messiah." Some felt that sacred texts should not be used for symphonic music to be performed outside of church. Perhaps is the first example of sacred music outside of its natural habitat. At any rate, Handel's Messiah has enjoyed great popularity throughout the years, especially at Christmas time. "Comfort Ye," which takes its text from Isaiah chapter 40, is a beautiful piece to meditate upon during the waiting of Advent.

-

No comments:

Post a Comment