"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music.

I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get the most joy in life out of music."

~ Albert Einstein

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Sleepers Awake (Bach)

I heard “Sleepers Awake” this past Sunday, performed on the organ for the recessional at Grace Episcopal Church in the Woodlawn community (Birmingham, Alabama).  “Sleepers Awake” is the English rendering of Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme (Awake, calls the voice to us) by Johann Sebastian Bach. According to Wikipedia, the song is “a church cantata by Johann Sebastian Bach. He composed the chorale cantata in Leipzig for the 27th Sunday after Trinity and first performed it on 25 November 1731. It is based on the hymn "Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme" (1599) by Philipp Nicolai. It is a well-known and delightful musical setting.


No comments:

Post a Comment