"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music.

I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get the most joy in life out of music."

~ Albert Einstein

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Assyrian Hymn of St. Thomas' Arrival in India

I have a friend from India who is a Thomas Christian, having grown up in the Christian community founded by St. Thomas who was the disciple who traveled to India. Thomas Christians have a connection with the Assyrian Church, the original Christian Church in Parthia (now occupied by eastern Iraq and Iran) which also claims St. Thomas as its founder.

I am intrigued by those early expressions of faith and am interested to know what kinds of music was and is used in those ancient liturgies. Here is a beautiful hymn  from the Assyrian Church celebrating St. Thomas' arrival in India.

   

 -

No comments:

Post a Comment