"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music.

I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music. I get the most joy in life out of music."

~ Albert Einstein

Sunday, October 7, 2018

Brother Sun and Sister Moon (John Michael Talbot)

Last week (October 4) was the Feast Day for St. Francis of Assisi. Many churches had their annual "Blessing of the Pets" in honor of this saint, poet, rebuilder, and quiet revolutionary. "Canticle of the Sun" is one of his most famous poems. "All Creatures of our God and King" is one of his poems that has been set to music and sung in churches of all denominations. (Francis was one of the first Italian poets to write in the vernacular Italian rather than in Latin, which was the "language of learning" of his day).

In 1981, in honor of the 800th anniversary of Francis' birth, singer/songwriter John Michael Talbot issued a double album of songs based on the writings and favorite scripture passages of St. Francis. "Brother Sun and Sister Moon" is one of those songs that highlights the saints love for God and reverence for nature.


   


 -

No comments:

Post a Comment